Saturday 13 October 2012

Tapering is fun

After a gruelling weekend of both doing our longest training runs, we are now tapering which essentially means cutting down our distances and letting our legs recover a bit before the main event. For me, its also about getting used to what my marathon pace is going to be. Running a handful of kms at the start a bit faster than I should will see me in all sorts of trouble 3 hours later. Respect the distance, have a plan and stick to it; was the wisdom my brother shared with me the other day. We all recall what happened in the Tortoise and the Hare!

It feels great knowing that all I have to do this weekend is run a cheeky little half marathon at marathon pace. Who would have thought it possible that an ex brewery sales manager/retired rugby player/100kg tubby bloke whose fondness for Guinness and rubbish food meant he couldn't ride a bike 10kms without having a breather and/or a pint, would think is such terms? I feel quite proud of myself and I know Claire feels justifiably the same. To have raised over $1300 and counting for Alzheimer's NZ is something we are even more proud of, of course.

I hope I'm not tempting fate as we both still feel a few aches and pains in places, but it looks like we are going to be fit enough make the start line, and therefore hopefully, the finish line. As I write this I am massaging a slightly sore right foot with an empty coffee mug but hopefully that's nothing major. The temperatures are climbing in Auckland now which makes things more enjoyable. Trotting along Tamaki Drive on a lunchtime when it is sunny and 20 degrees with the azure ocean glistening to your left is quite simply the greatest feeling ever. I hope that feeling of euphoria stays with me when I am passing the 39km marker on the same road in 2 weeks time!

Over and out


Mr H


http://www.givealittle.co.nz/member/ClaireHuxley

No comments:

Post a Comment